What you choose to eat with can give you clues about your personality and who you are.
There is a children’s book called Spoon with anthropomorphized utensils. Little Spoon isn’t happy and wants to be like everyone else. He wants to be like Knife who cuts crunchy apples and spreads peanut butter over soft bread. Or Fork that twirls pasta, spears lettuce and cucumbers, and dives head-first into a slice of chocolate-layered golden cake. Or Chopsticks that go in pairs and are “so cool and exotic,” coming from far off lands of spices and noodles.
Then, Spoon realizes that he won’t ever be like Knife, Fork, or Chopsticks, or anyone else. He also happily realizes that he has strengths too. His rounded curves and concave shape let Spoon hollow out avocados, scoop up chocolate gelato, and ladle out chicken soup. He is friendly, a social utensil who stirs and mixes things together like milk and cereal and sugar and tea.
Which utensil do you see yourself as?
As identical twins, we see ourselves more as Chopsticks.
- Chopsticks travel in pairs, working together to pick up food, pinch a broccoli floret, and swoop up crumbles. Chopsticks don’t pierce like a fork or cut like a knife, rather preserving the food’s entity.
- Chopsticks are identical in size and shape with slender matching sticks.
- Chopsticks are beautiful, often decorated with colorful patterns, flowers, or images.
- Chopsticks are smooth and tapered, adapting to every hand.
- Chopsticks are formed from the same sheet of material.
- Chopsticks are made of bamboo and wood, natural and authentic materials of the earth.
- Chopsticks are global and exotic, used in homes of many different languages.
- Chopsticks can be tucked into your traveling bag, ready for any meal.
But, Chopstick is also strong, each on her own.
- Chopstick can test a cake to see if it is baked.
- Chopstick can conduct music, and hit the drums.
- Chopstick can skewer fruits and veggies for dipping
But, again. Chopsticks like it best when together, because it’s way more fun. “Chopsticks” on the piano is way more cool with two.
Loyal and consistent. Modest and modern. Universal and unique.
We are a pair of chopsticks. If you want to go far, go together.